Saturday, July 17, 2010

{Self Control}

July 17th 2010
     I'm reading "Confident Parenting" by Jim Burns and happened to also do a study on self control today focusing on taming the tongue. It seems that God has placed these in my life at the same time for a reason. In efforts of my parenting and ministry, I have make a change in this area. In the book I am reminded how the Bible says that we carry on the past sins ans struggles of the earlier generations (Exodus 34:6-7). Jim talks about our lives not being w/o struggles and pain bit that, "in life we wither choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret." Today I want to choose the pain of discipline, like the runner in Hebrews 12:1-3. I want to run the race of life towards God throwing off everything that hinders my goal and prize, and vow to raise my children the same way. Now I can't control what my children do in life, but I can control what I teach them and show them in living a Christian Lifestyle. I am choosing to be the "transtional generation" as Jim calls it. I grew up in a very verbally abusive home and I can see horrible past family patterns creeping into the way I parent. This vow of discipline calls me to tame my tonuge, which is a VERY hard thing for me to do. I want my children to feel loved and respected by their mother, not punished, put down, be littled until there is nothing left of them. On another view point towards ministry, I can see myself being critical and judgemnetal of people when I don't mean to be. I want only good fruit to come out of my month and life.
... Pray for me in my efforts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...