Why is it so hard to remember things, let alone the gift of memorizing scripture? Because it is in fact a gift, a gift I have not been given in my young adult life. As a children and a teen I knew the scripture. I could spout out anything you needed to know about the Bible. Then… in late high school and early college I turned away from the truth of scripture… and the thought that it was truth at all.
Thankfully the God is gracious.
Through a series of events the Lord brought some people into my life and took some people out. I am thankful for that season for it has brought me to where I am today, and who I am today… a Daughter of the King. Since my early believing days I have forgotten most of the scripture I once knew. However through my love for the Lord… and His love for me, I am regaining the hidden word in my heart.
Now I still believe that I have NOT been given the gift of scripture memorization, but does that mean I shouldn’t try to hide the word of God in my heart! Oh no, try away!
Here are some tips to help make that happen in my life and yours:
- Memorize scripture from a verse of the Bible that you enjoy. The Bible I use often is TNIV, in case you were wondering.
- Make some note cards of verses that you are trying to memorize.
- Now carry these cards with you to read while in a waiting line or on your lunch break, or post them around your home in places you’ll see them.
- Repeat and learn what these verses means. If you understand them, it will be easier to remember them.
- Regularly review these verses. Use it or lose it, haha, I’m serious though.
- Now go and share!